This is one of Vincent's very last paintings. He lived in Auvers-sur-Oise, a small village north of Paris. He had moved there in 1890 after a year at the asylum in Saint-Remy.
His loyal and devoted brother Theo, who lived in Paris, wanted him nearby. As always, Vincent painted the landscape around him. His brushstrokes became more and more frantic and pronounced. There is a prevailing atmosphere of foreboding and dread in this intense painting.